Activity from lord_wolf

Showing comments from:
Displaying comments 1 to 44 of 44
Fucking Fuck, v7
I had a comment in the American politics thread deleted the other day, and while I thought it was a pretty funny comment if I do say so myself, I totally and completely understand why it was removed.

But then it struck me that we're held to a higher standard of communication and discourse here at MetaFilter than the American media (and I'm including Twitter in that group) and members of the US government hold the President of the United States to.… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 9:08 AM on January 8, 2018

Secret Quonsar thank you thread (2017)
I was quonsed yesterday, to great delight.

GuyZero, thank you so very much for the wonderful gifts. It was only with great effort that I stopped myself from eating everything within minutes of opening the box.

patheral, I was your quonsar, and I apologize profusely for the address label mixup. I was thinking of someone else who shares your first name when I filled it out, and I was deeply embarrassed and saddened when the quons-elves let me… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:35 PM on December 12, 2017

2016 Secret Quonsar Thank You Thread!
I'm checking this thread obsessively because I mailed my Quonsee's package a week ago, and the postman said it might be delivered anytime between now and three more weeks...

Obsess no more, rawrberry: I received your package this past Friday, and while I was thrilled and delighted by the array of snacks you included, as well as the notebook and the hand-knit wolf plushie, what you wrote in the card that accompanied the gifts so deeply moved me that it… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 10:26 AM on December 12, 2016

jbickers has passed away
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 2:08 PM on October 4, 2016

Please be kind to each other.
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:00 PM on September 21, 2015

in celebration of Anitanola
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 8:16 AM on December 10, 2014

State of MetaFilter
Man, I can't even tell you how fervently I was hoping and wishing that this was somehow, magically, an April 1st post that was accidentally posted today.

Thanks to all the departing mods for your service.

I'll do what I can, behaviorally and financially, to help MeFi keep on trucking.
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 2:08 PM on May 19, 2014

Surprise! Thanks, Secret Quonsar!
Also, sorry future Quonsees, no one else is getting liquids because fuck, that was expensive to ship.
posted by maryr at 12:32 PM on December 4 [1 favorite +] [!]

maryr, you rock! I am very much looking forward to enjoying the liquids you sent, and while I'm not typically a squee-er, I squeed over the cute little wolf you included. Thank you so much for all your thoughtfulness -- especially since you timed delivery to coincide with my… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 9:30 AM on December 9, 2013

wfrgms has passed away
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 8:45 PM on September 19, 2013

Our friend, WolfDaddy
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:15 PM on February 20, 2013

This is how I tell it, ohhhhhhhhhh but it's long
So sorry for your loss. He was someone I was just beginning to notice and really like on Metafilter. I shared his MCA story with a bunch of people, and everybody thought it was one of the best things ever.

posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 7:10 PM on May 17, 2012

Help me find a comment about an American in an Australian hospital?
In the future, when they create holovids about the fragmentation of the USA into separate nations, among the many things that will stun people about the once proud country is how willing working class and poor people in America were to stay unhealthy and trod upon by insurance companies and large corporations because of last place aversion.

How insane is it to decide that you'd rather be sick than support a system that would care for people you feel are inferior to… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:52 PM on March 28, 2012

Ryland Sanders has passed away.
Farewell, Ryland. Thank you for doing what you could to make our little corner of the universe brighter and happier.
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 8:10 PM on April 3, 2011

RIP Balisong
Nthing that 41 is way too young.

See you on the other side, brother.

posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 8:23 AM on February 4, 2011

RIP Bill Zeller
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 2:05 PM on January 7, 2011

Bageena, RIP
My heart goes out to you and your family.

posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 4:53 PM on January 2, 2010

Happy Birthday User No. 1
Belated happy birthday wishes to you!
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 8:55 AM on October 11, 2009

Australian Racism Denial - uergh!
[slight derail]
Reading what some folks --- by no means most or even many -- have written in this thread and the other current MeTa race thread has somehow has made me even sadder and angrier than I was yesterday evening about the fact that a thread with a post as moving and profound as gingerailment's in it devolved into a discussion of pie and Dr. Strange.

[/slight derail]

But I still have hope. I already think MeFi and MeTa race… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:33 PM on October 9, 2009

Palmer v. Jones
I'm not saying this about you, lord wolf,

It's all good, that's not how I took it.

So anyhow, this doesn't add much to the topic

Quite the contrary -- the middle section of your comment is pretty much a reflection of my feelings on the matter. But I guess there's a part of me that's actually a little angry that no one spoke up on behalf of Grace Jones while a number of… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:19 PM on December 11, 2008
Please don't conflate opinions about an individual to apply to everyone of his or her gender and/or race.

I think you're doing me a disservice there. When one observes a pattern over one's lifetime, it is not inappropriate to refer to the entire pattern upon the next instance of observation.

When I interpret comments directed at Grace Jones to be highly similar to things I've read and heard about everyone from Michelle Obama… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 8:57 AM on December 12, 2008

look-who's-here-filter
I'm glad she was a classy dame about all the people who talked about how they'd like to/like not to fuck/ogle her, too.

- "her eyes and her mouth are way too beautiful for me to want spend even a moment looking away from them and down at her tummy."

I've tried to give myself some time to breathe and think beyond my first emotional response to seeing my comment lumped in with some "ogle/hit it" comments, and… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 12:11 PM on December 4, 2008

"Wow, look at the Boobies!"
but I don't see anybody asking anti-Republican rhetoric to be toned down

Then you have a poor memory. Among other things, I've seen you and plenty of other people fall hook, line, and sinker for nearly every instance of a certain user's "Oh, woe is me, I'm so brave and wonderful for sharing my authoritarian-libertarian views with you obstinate liberals and all I get is abuse heaped on me for it" act; the calls to not pile on conservatives and… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 9:21 PM on July 10, 2008

I c*nt stop saying twat.
Would any of the people who are "edgy" or casual about using cunt and twat use them if the discussion had taken place in real life and jessamyn, ThePinkSuperhero and other female members of mefi that you liked/wanted to like you were present?

If not, your use of the word seems dangerously close to Internet Tough Guy syndrome: you're only edgy and rebellious on your keyboard.

Look, I'm all for creative use of language. I plan to teach my… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:55 PM on July 9, 2008
Note: none of my comments or sentiments are directed towards UK mefites. I totally understand that the words under discussion have different meanings and impact in your society. I've read my Welsh, Ennis, etc.

I'd absolutely use the word 'twat' in person when in casual conversation with people I didn't suspect of having a stick up their arse.

Well, you're hardcore. I live in the US, and in real life , I know of no male held in… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 2:26 PM on July 9, 2008

Civilized discussion?
note: Everyone needs a hug.
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 3:11 PM on April 3, 2008

Sorry, indeed, but what strange, elaborate spam.
Somebody's gotta be the female Led Zeppelin, right?
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 12:01 PM on February 4, 2008

Hysterics
As a man, I've always wondered what men were thinking even when they just whistle or w00t out the car window at women. Women never do these sorts of things.

That's completely untrue. Women do in fact do those sorts of things, and they also do the unsolicited fondling/kiss/attempt to see underwear thing.
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:23 PM on November 15, 2007
I only have one word of advice: Own.

this is what i've often felt when i've noticed that metafilter is a bit of a whitezone and tried to think about what i could do to counteract that.

(i sometimes think mefi is a lot like my place of residence, Austin, in that it thinks quite highly of itself in comparison to similar places, but in some ways it's a step or two behind some places that are perceived more negatively than it is.)… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 10:31 AM on November 16, 2007

Seattle meetup 10.25.07
Black8, you have an awesome smile!

and, tkchrist, there's no doubt in my mind that you're still a cutie.

in fact, it seems most people on mefi are better looking than they give themselves credit for, based on what i've seen in meet-up pix.
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 10:38 AM on October 29, 2007

Austin Meetup
i'm down for a meetup as well. like spiderwire, i'll be avoiding the acl itself.

spiderwire, what's this longbranch inn of which you speak? i work just east of 35, on 5th street, at a very small company. we're often sorely in need of an after-work drinking place that's not on south congress or 6th street.
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:30 PM on August 24, 2006

This question has a "best answer" checkmark, but no best answer inside.
when /talk or /filter threads become the best of the web, does that make this place metafilterfilter or metametafilter?
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 9:43 AM on July 11, 2006

AskMe question being dragged into chatfilter
i'd love to hear people's thoughts on the situation orthogonality described: the female coworker who would masturbate in the ladies room to relieve stress.

he proposed that it wasn't exactly analogous, but there are a lot of parallels: it's in a public place; she was probably afraid of being caught and knew it was wrong; a client could have been made aware of it; a random, easily offended coworker could have noticed.

should she have likewise… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 12:03 PM on July 6, 2006
Unless there are video cameras over each toilet, how could she possibly be discovered?

she could be discovered if she wasn't careful about her volume control. ;-)

In what jurisdictions are toilet stalls considered a "public place"? Is there any jurisdiction in which you would NOT have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" in a toilet stall?

it's not as black and… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 12:30 PM on July 6, 2006
This made me laugh. Do you think it's really hard to be silent when masturbating?

i don't know how it is with her, but when you masturbate as well as i do, it's nearly impossible to remain silent.

wait, did i think that or type it?
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 12:46 PM on July 6, 2006
I presume you would have the sense not to whack off at work, since you already know you wouldn't be able to conceal it and I'd probably hear your orgasm all the way down here in Southwest Florida?

all i'm gonna say is that it's break time for me here at work, and i have a full bottle of jergens, so you better shut your windows and turn up the volume on your televisions, stereos, and ipods....
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:15 PM on July 6, 2006
Ever thought of getting a record contract?

i gave it a go a few years back, but the engineers had serious issues with the fact that i would roll over and fall asleep after each take. plus, omg, the chafing!
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:39 PM on July 6, 2006

Racism on AskMe.
mr_crash_davis wins.
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 1:47 PM on June 21, 2006

Usernames with @
this thread is aw∑
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 7:13 PM on June 10, 2006

Obit Guidelines
i'm surprised no one's yet brought up the most obvious solution: people should just stop dying.

no deaths, nothing to post about, everybody's happy.
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 8:10 AM on March 7, 2006

I hate legal posts/I love legal posts
It is beyond me why my posts could be the source of such concern

brother, i feel ya.
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 3:28 PM on February 16, 2006

L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg writing in Wired
owned!
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 12:03 PM on February 1, 2006

Censored!!
ok, here's something i don't understand: i'm not particularly bright, but when i scan the front page and see a post about something i'm not interested in, i don't read it and i forget about it.

i'm very interested in what's going on in american democracy right now, but there were a few days when i was sick of reading or hearing about it anywhere, and i didn't even "see" any of the various fpp's about it, even though i check mefi slavishly… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 2:19 PM on November 22, 2004
hey, stan chin, i dig what you're saying.

but i don't think that would have happened on mefi. i think our big blue community here could be self-correcting such that people would see that their political posts are getting 10 responses while the animal penis dildo origami poetry post gets 150 responses and realize that the mood doesn't support a discussion about their topic no matter how passionately they feel about it. in that same situation, i would hope that people… [more]
posted to MetaTalk by lord_wolf at 3:17 PM on November 22, 2004

Civility and politics.
sarcasm is often mistaken for a ham sandwich

as a vegetarian, i'm sick and goddamned tired of the references to meat products on the blue.

best of the web indeed.