Activity from nat

Showing comments from:
Displaying comments 1 to 50 of 871
No jokes, just a new politics thread
Not that I'm upset at any norm being upheld, but really, why this one? The title? I'd trade that in a hot minute for a norm that involved an actual debate on the bill.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 2:16 PM on December 19, 2017

Corporations are robots, my friend
Hmm, what if any investment vehicle in a 401k was taxed on the basis of its churn? Or, if short term capital gains taxes were raised and maybe tiered, oh maybe x% for sale within the first six months of purchase, x-1 the next six, etc until only after ten years would the base long term capital gains rate apply? One of the issues with a 401k style system is that they produce dumb money— in the sense of money where the actual investor (the future retiree) doesn’t generally do much with their… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 1:13 AM on December 19, 2017
Oh, and if corporations are people too (fuck you very much, citizens united) then we also need equivalent ways to punish them. I don’t know what prison would look like for a corporation but we ought to figure that out.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 1:15 AM on December 19, 2017

From agorism to neozapatismo
So google tells me I’m not the first person to wonder if Joseph Fourier (he of the series) was in anyway related to Charles Fourier (the -ism). But I didn’t find an answer.

I am asking this instead of just telling you I am a social democrat, because that is boring and Not News.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 12:54 AM on December 18, 2017

two great tastes
Finally had time to go finish all the puzzles, except I still can’t open the doors in the main dungeon. Are they for the future? Have I not really done everything? Hmm..
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 6:54 AM on December 15, 2017

Nope nope nope nope nope
I find this less creepy than Cordyceps. Perhaps that is because I didn’t go to the link, or perhaps it is because I find mind controlling fungi more creepy— at least these worms are animals and not some damned fungus.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 2:52 AM on December 13, 2017
VMPV, I know they do mind control too. It’s just that I dislike the idea of mind control by fungus more than mind control by worm.

But I suppose mind control by very simple worm is also disturbing.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 12:00 AM on December 14, 2017

Struggle for the Heart of Dixie
So, I am curious how we can port the lessons of Alabama and Virginia elsewhere. Here in AZ, the state is 55% non-Hispanic white. But the remaining 45% doesn’t fit into a single group- it’s mostly Hispanic white, but there’s Black, Native, and Asian populations in there too. Who is going to do the work that black women did in Alabama? We don’t have enough of them to carry the load here. Who can I donate to that’ll know the local communities well enough to ably get out the vote among the minority… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 11:39 PM on December 13, 2017

Foundation and Empire
If we as a society are unwilling to fund basic research through public funding, then we are back to an age of patrons and robber barons.

NSF, DOE, NASA, NIH, all are hurting. Funding scientific research polls well as a stand-alone question, but is low on the priority list (when people are asked to rank what they think is most important to fund).
In this light private foundations (in my field Simons looms large) can gain significant control over the… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 3:11 AM on December 13, 2017

The lines are all the same shape
I am curious, is this illusion effective on all humans?

I live in a (roughly, don’t get me started on buildings not actually having right angles) rectangular building, and have since I was born. Many objects around me have flat edges, too.

But that can’t be true for all humans everywhere, especially if you go back 10000 years. So, is this illusion a product of evolution, or of each person’s visual cortex optimizing to the world around them at… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 4:42 AM on December 10, 2017

Sex isn't chromosomes
There are a few more resources I found helpful when first learning about the fallaciousness of XY/XX being male/female.
Two books: Dr Tatiana’s Sex Advice to All Creation (lots of examples of animal sex determination and differing numbers of sexes).
And for humans, Middlesex. It is about one individual so it really only discusses that particular syndrome, but it discusses some of the problems with trying to lump individual humans into two sexes in general.… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 1:47 AM on December 4, 2017
(and Eugenides apparently made it a thing not to talk to any intersex people (knowingly, at least!) before or during the writing because he didn't want facts to interfere with his imagination)

I hadn't heard that, lazuli. Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind. (And the "knowingly" part there is pretty important, given how common intersex people actually are!)

I suppose I should also admit that I haven't reread Dr.… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 5:38 AM on December 7, 2017

Collusion Course
How can I figure out who in the Senate and House will be on the conference committee for this bill? I would like to call if they are my own reps, and encourage friends to call if they are not.

Also, I have no idea how the committees are chosen; will they contain any Dems, or any Republicans who voted against the bills?
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 3:01 PM on December 3, 2017

Thanks for nothing
So I just tried calling McCain, and I couldn’t get through on any line (mailbox full or line busy for every office ). So I called Flake instead and basically said I hope he’s smarter than McCain. (Sigh).
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 8:48 AM on November 30, 2017

"Oooh, boy, this is a doozy"
I upgraded to High Sierra just last week. Thought it was long enough that the bugs would have been worked out... maybe I was almost right?

Anyhow does the file sharing fix apply automatically too, or do I have to restart for it?
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 2:02 AM on November 30, 2017

Rain-activated art to brighten your day
Can one of you UBCers explain to me where this is? I'm on campus through Wednesday, but I don't have any idea where anything is (except the rain, it is in the sky, possibly always), so I can't figure out how to find this.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 6:04 PM on November 27, 2017

It's a great day for America, everybody!
Now it's 27 precincts reporting, still Dem ahead.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 7:26 PM on November 14, 2017
The Democratic party needs to start running an ombuds office where people can report harassment and assault by candidates, before they get elected. The way to get out ahead of the problem, to make sure we elect people who don't behave this way (and that we don't elect people who do), is to find a safe way for people to report and be believed.

I would actually argue that this should be a standard part of oppo research into our own candidates; I'm just not sure how to… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 10:15 AM on November 16, 2017

Lord willing and the creek don't rise
You're right about that, WidgetAlley. I just finished my first one, but I feel a wee smidgen better already.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 6:25 PM on November 14, 2017

Desprit to pass spring projict
Having both taken and given oral exams several times, they are a terrible solution to this problem. The skills required to write a term paper are totally different from those required to pass an oral exam.

More importantly, oral exams are rife with all of the bias humans are prone to. There’s no record of the exam, so no way to look back and see that Sexist Prof grades women more harshly, or that attractive people of both genders get higher scores, or that speakers… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 2:54 PM on November 14, 2017

"Kickoffs are stupid and bad."
Jon Bois is about the only person who could get me to watch football again.

It's not happening though, I just watch Chart Party instead.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 9:52 PM on November 13, 2017

faster than feet, less impactful than cars, individual unlike busses
I mind ebikes a lot less than gas motor assists, because if I am biking behind an ebike I don’t start coughing from exhaust.
It seems to me like infrastructure is the need though— if bike lanes in the US were wide enough for passing, separated from pedestrians, and had traffic signals of their own... biking still wouldn’t be as easy in Phoenix as it was in Copenhagen, because the city is SO spread out here.
But bike lanes with passing space would go a long way towards… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 7:54 AM on November 11, 2017

Mike Olbinski, storm-chasing wedding photographer
I just moved to AZ in August, so I didn't see too much storm action this year. But even the bit I did see, it feels like home-- I grew up in CO, and though the storms are different there's strong similarities too. It's good to be back in the west. And beautiful to see a talented photographer capturing a representation of its power. Thanks for sharing!
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 6:30 PM on November 5, 2017

"...and now the facts are pouring out. DO SOMETHING!"
I think assigning Trump the job of naming the bill is assuming he doesn’t know what he is doing. So give the senile idiot a pointless task he thinks is important (preferably one he can’t fuck up) so he doesn’t make a mess elsewhere.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 10:51 AM on November 1, 2017

YADKCOLSPAC
SPACKLE

I JUST LIKETHAT WORD AND ALSO HAVE A BUNCH OF NAIL HOLES TO FILL IN MY HOUSE
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 11:54 AM on October 22, 2017

"we should not expect the first NS-NS GWs to be accompanied by a GRB"
“Photo” to me refers to the electromagnetic spectrum specifically. So yeah, there’s photos (the electromagnetic signal) but they’re correlated with something else— maybe “gravotos”? (Is there a name for a gravitational wave snapshot yet?) And that’s what super nifty here: we have photos AND gravotos.

I am a theorist, and mostly the wrong kind to be useful here, but man LIGO is just so nifty.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 10:53 AM on October 16, 2017

"My family and I can't live in good intentions, Marge!"
Could a test for dimentia be disguised as an IQ test?
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 11:43 AM on October 10, 2017

Some Tech Bros Think Gender Equality Has Gone Too Far
Jimbob, I once sat through a talk at a scientific conference wherein the speaker compared a system with impurities to Britney Spears at her low point, and a system without impurities to Britney Spears as a brand new pop star.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever believing that a pile of idiot academics would do the same thing.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 5:39 PM on September 23, 2017
Glad to hear it, Jimbob, me neither; but at least in my discipline it still happens and I won't pretend otherwise.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 6:09 PM on September 23, 2017

King Willi
If the queen’s sting chamber is not fully opened, mating is unsuccessful, so some males that mount the queen do not transfer semen.

If you come at the queen, you best not miss.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 11:13 AM on September 23, 2017

Wherever you go, there you are
This really reminds me of 17776 and the places never walked, although then you would need everyone's history and not just your own.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 1:28 AM on September 22, 2017

4:40
I love me some Fuck Buttons. I didn't know about Mogwai, but I'm glad I do now. (Slow post because this is the first I got around to having time to listen). Fuck Buttons is for whatever reason the perfect music for me to do creative work to, just enough to get absorbed by the music and let the mind float/ concentrate when inspired.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 8:42 PM on September 14, 2017

Subprime borrowers didn't cause the subprime crisis
I dunno about shows on TV, but I know there are flippers active in the housing market near me. I don't know how many but the number is bigger than zero.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 11:14 PM on September 10, 2017

Americans advised to change their birthday and social security number
For people asking how other countries do things, I was fairly impressed with the Danish system. Everyone, resident or citizen, is issued a number akin to SSN. It's on your health card and I think your residence permit if you're a foreigner as well. But they are also issued a second item, sent to the address you use to register your person number, which is basically a one-time pad. It's a card with a list of around 100 pairs of numbers.

Every time you interact with… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 12:06 PM on September 8, 2017
In other news, Mr. Nat and I are in the process of buying a house, so we've definitely been pinging credit bureaus a bunch lately. And both of us are kind of amazed at how big the whole house-buying system is -- from the realtors to the government records to the title people to the mortgage people and the insurance people and oh boy. He's taken to calling it the "mortgage industrial complex".

I feel like there ought to be a similar term here.. the… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 12:12 PM on September 8, 2017

Cycling is like a piece of magic: It only has advantages
Just moved to Phoenix from Copenhagen, and I hear ya, 1adam12. I miss biking where it is easy to do.

That having been said, for many months a year here in PHX it is totally reasonable biking weather. Today, it is 104, and we biked anyhow. It's much easier to bike in 104 than it is in snow though, but I'm not sure I'd feel the same at 114.

Speaking of, my first winter in Copenhagen, the first day it snowed (which doesn't happen too much; it's… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 2:28 PM on September 7, 2017

Beware of alliterative storms
That seems to me like an argument to make NFIP a more rational organization, not to do away with it entirely. Can't they pay actuaries too?
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 1:15 PM on August 30, 2017

Twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
It doesn't make much sense to me that a CBS board member would require exclusive release to Fox. I thought board members had some sort of fiduciary duty to the shareholders of the companies they represent?
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 3:57 PM on August 29, 2017
While protesting outside the AZ convention center last week (was it last week?), we heard someone in the Trump line shout "Get a job". Economic insecurity my ass. I'm pretty sure plenty of them do indeed believe any white supremacist notion you might ascribe to them.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 12:26 AM on August 30, 2017

Babylonian tablet 3,700 years old, first trigonometry
It's 322, I think they got the number wrong. Here is the Wikipedia article. The work they're referring to in this article is likely ref 7 on the Wikipedia page for 322.

For what it's worth there is a prior interpretation of this tablet not as trig but instead as a set of exercises for school for solving quadratic equations; see the links to Robson in the Wikipedia page for more.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 7:38 PM on August 25, 2017

Reacting swiftly, Mayor Quimby has declared Mob Rule.
I am outside.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 8:03 PM on August 22, 2017
Shit seriously? We hear booms out here..
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 8:38 PM on August 22, 2017
Tear gas. No idea why, I am 2 min walk away..
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 8:38 PM on August 22, 2017
We are, we had already started away.. hope everyone carrying the load now stays safe.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 8:43 PM on August 22, 2017
That fits my perspective too. I really didn't understand why they went to tear gas, really everything seemed peaceful when we headed out which was only minutes before the first smoke.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 9:25 PM on August 22, 2017

Misogyny based on flawed/erroneous/outdated social science theories
Also if you hire for "fit". That's how dudebros get more dudebros.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 8:25 AM on August 8, 2017

Some Uplift For Your Friday
Yes, hanov3r. This show got me through December/January.

Is there anything else spoiler-free from SDCC? I don't want spoilers but Estelle singing is great and so are the crowd scenes.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 5:06 PM on July 28, 2017

I was busy thinkin' 'bout boys, boys, boys
In watching Boys, Kohta Sataa, and The Last Thing on My Mind, I noticed another thing about gendered gaze that I think is still not really flipped in either Boys or The Last Thing on My Mind.

Women who are the objects of the Male Gaze often don't look directly at the camera, if they even look at it at all. They're caught unawares, or they look out of the sides or top of their eyes rather than face straight on.

Men who appear as subjects in Male… [more]
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 2:30 PM on July 28, 2017

88 Lines About The 45th President
One of their aims should be to extend Medicaid in states that haven't. "Here is healthcare you should have, but don't, because your state government is a bunch of asshats."
In the absence of Schumer and Pelosi doing something useful though, what organizations exist to do this work? Are there local indivisibles or ..?
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 7:34 AM on July 23, 2017
I don't think I agree. I think building up secondary structures makes the system more robust. Especially if it isn't one single secondary structure, but a series of state/regional ones. And it provides a place for training grounds for young lefties who may not be able to get elected on local/state level due to the politics of their region. It builds the back bench for the future.
posted to MetaFilter by nat at 7:54 AM on July 23, 2017